There are so many lawn grids available on the market that makes it difficult to which ones are worth buying.
To take this guesswork, I have independently researched and tested a hundred products. Here are my top recommendations for grass protection mesh.
TRUEGRID Pro Lite Paver
TRUEGRID Pro Lite Pavers is a lawn grid with a modern and functional design. It is specifically designed to last despite the ever-changing weather.
- For all weather
- Easy maintenance and set-up
- A bit pricey
Design and Materials
TRUEGRID Pro Lite Paver is an eco-friendly pavement block made from post-consumer recycled HDPE.
One block consists of several circles that are arranged in an ergonomic design with attractive aesthetics. The manufacturer claims that it works just like concrete. Thus, it is tough enough to carry a vehicle and even trucks.
Laying this down to parking lots, driveways, and the access road is another great option as stormwater will smoothly flow and detain in their cells if filled with the subgrade.
These pavement blocks have an easy installation. You only have to line up the female slots next to the male tabs, press them using your feet and they will lock into place.
If you’re a kinda busy person, this product might also be for you. It requires little to no maintenance at all! After setting up, you’ll ditch the mud, ruts, and potholes.
Best Feature: For All Weather
TRUEGRID Pro Lite Paver boasts its lawn grids that last despite the ever-changing weather.
Unlike the traditional concrete lawn grid, this kind of pavement blocks does not heat up too much in summer. The same goes for winter, they also tend not to freeze.
Know that climate factors are important in establishing a safe space in your yard. People might slip in a frozen pathway. And vehicle tires tend to go flat on extra hot days as well.
Thankfully, there is a TRUEGRID Pro Lite Paver that might save you if live in a place where the climate can drastically change. Not only you are protecting the people around you in such walkways, but also saving money from preventable accidents.
Moreover, this feature will prevent this lawn grid from easily wearing off as it can tolerate sudden changes in temperature.
Lake Light Innovation’s Yard Saver
Looking for a lawn grid that you can turn into a “hidden” parking area? Having a simple yet functional design, Lake Light Innovation’s Yard Saver might be the best option.
- Easy installation
- Support grass growth
- High permeability
- Temperature-change resistant
- Does not work in inclined areas
- Not ideal for soil or gravel fillers
Design and Materials
Lake Light Innovation’s Yard Saver consists of recycled plastic. Engineers prefer plastic paver systems to traditional concrete pavers primarily because the latter is more prone to water runoff. This product has high capabilities to absorb water to store rainwater under the surface to avoid flooding and save the land.
Modern plastic grass mesh is also more resistant to temperature changes. There will be less ice buildup on this stuff in winter and absorb no extra heat in summer. Apart from not easily worn off, these will lead to a safer environment for everyone.
Having several grids with hefty spaces, sods amazingly thrives in their cells.
Lake Light Innovation’s Yard Saver has an easy setup as well. It has an interlocking system along its edges that guarantees a secured finish.
Best Feature: Hidden Parking Area
What customers love the most with this Lake Light Innovation’s Yard Saver is its ability to become hidden. It might be the best option if you wanted to keep your garden more natural and green, without the mark of any lawn grids.
Standing more than an inch, this lawn grid supports the grass in its optimal growth. You can hide your parking area within your lawn with the abundant grass.
You can ditch the fear of a dying lawn. This lawn paver allows the roots to penetrate deeply into the soil. Such an incident will lead to a lush garden grass as they will continually uptake water and nutrients.
Standartpark’s Geo Ground Grid
Standartpark’s Geo Ground Grid stands out as the best in any application. Having top quality materials, you can turn it into a parking lot, pathway, equestrian space, and inclined surface support.
- Supports grass, soil, or gravel
- Works even in inclined surfaces
- Functional Design
- Laborious installation
Design and Materials
Polyethylene material makes up this Standartpark’s Geo Ground Grid. For those who are unfamiliar, this kind of plastic has a good impact strength. This means that during stress, it will just stretch instead of breaking easily.
A supersonic weld finishes off this grass paver. In this process, people use high-frequency acoustic vibrations to attach and bond workpieces. The output will be a strong joint that will not easily detach through blows and forces.
You will notice that there are several holes on every side of each grid. This design allows water to freely flow through the grid to prevent erosion issues. Furthermore, it lessens the risk of water stagnation atop that encourages pooling.
This lawn grid has a flexible design which you can either expand or collapse according to your yard’s needs and preferences. Attach each piece with ease and freely cut according to them according to your yard’s dimensions.
Best Feature: For Any Application
If you’re looking for a yard saver that will work in any application, I bet that this Standartpark’s Geo Ground Grid might be the best option.
Unlike other typical grass mesh, you can fill this yard saver with grass, soil, or gravel.
You can use Standartpark’s Geo Ground Grid for light car parking and pull up zones. It even works as RV parking pads.
If you have several horses, you can turn this product into an equestrian station. It can host horses that love to run.
What makes this yard saver even more unique is its capability to work in slopes. Apart from erosion control, you can use it for landscaping purposes. This grass mesh will work great for a steep incline with an angle up to 30 degrees.
You got everything with this Standartpark’s Geo Ground Grid!
Techno Earth’s Grass Pavers
Nothing will beat the Techno Earth’s Grass Pavers if you want a complete green effect. It does not only absorb water, but also dust, noise, and many more!
- Green effect
- Easy to cut (for odd shapes)
- The color blends well with the grass
- Seems brittle
Design and Materials
Techno Earth’s Grass Pavers is made from high-molecular polyethylene or HDPE. For those who do not know, HDPE is a type of plastic known for its different properties that include toughness, stiffness, and strength.
One block consists of several six-sided shapes with thin lines forming between the edges in the bottom part. This design makes them great for either filling with gravel or sodded with grass.
The manufacturer claims that it has robust compression strength that is like those of concrete. Accordingly, it can carry a load under 200 tons/sqm including those of cars and trucks.
Best Feature: Perfect Greening Effect
If you are looking for a lawn grid that has a complete green effect, Techno Earth’s Grass Pavers might be the one that you are looking for.
This yard saver has a good permeability function that allows them to store water underground. This can prevent sudden sinking or gradual downward settling of the ground surface. Such an incident can cause problems and aesthetic issues.
Not only does this lawn grid absorb water, but also noise, dust, and heat. It even reduces the discomfort brought by an intensity of light from ground reflection.
What’s more interesting with these pavement blocks are the anti-UV, anti-acid-corrosion, and anti-wear pressure features that lead to a stable performance.
Standartpark’s HEXpave Grid
Emerging with the easiest installment process, you can manually setup Standartpark’s HEXpave Grid by yourself. You can build your parking area or access ways without fuss and muss.
- Easy and Fast Assembly
- Beautiful Drainage
- Soil, rock, grass containment
- Shipping options
Design and Materials
Standartpark’s HEXpave Grid is made up of recycled polymer. The polymer is a material that is a result of the integration of numerous substances.
Coming from its name – HEXpave, this permeable paver consists of cells with six sides that appear like a honeycomb. Standartpark boasts this product as they claim that it can hold up to 27000 lbs load class when filled with aggregate. That weighs the same as a subway car or jet fighter.
Its cells support grass, small pea gravel, soil, and sand. And whatever filling materials you are gonna use, it will be a hundred percent permeable. In simple words, it permits liquid to pass through their openings or pores to store water and prevent pooling.
Best Feature: Easy Installation
Unlike the other yard savers, Standartpark’s HEXpave Grid highlights its “Do It Yourself” installation.
You won’t need laborious work, the blocks have a locking technology. All you have to do is just snap and lock. Building a reliable DIY patio, shed base, driveway, and much more is never this easy.
You will not only save thousands from installation costs but also retain your precious time.
How do grass pavers work?
Everyone dreams of a beautiful grass area that you can turn to either a recreational family space or access way (for parking, wheelchair access, walking paths).
However, such activities can damage your lawn and turn them into bare empty space or patches of poor grass. This is where the grass paver comes in.
Grass pavers help people to maintain their yard aesthetically pleasing while serving as access ways.
Depending on their design, you can either fill them with soil, gravel, or grass. they have compression strength that allows them to carry such load without damaging the grass or deform the soil. If you’re wondering why they use interlocking grids that distribute the weight of the load over the underlying surface.
They are almost similar to the concrete surfaces, except that they are more visually pleasing.
They grow grass because they allow their roots to penetrate the soil and acquire water and nutrients.
How to Install Grass Protection Mesh?
Depending on the design and materials, each installation of grass pavers differs.
Generally, here are the steps to installing grass protection mesh:
Installation for Existing Grass Area
- Identify the area in which you will install the grass protection mesh. This initial procedure will avoid time and effort wastage as you determine where to lay down the grid.
- Clean the area. You can do this by cutting the existing grass on your lawn. Afterward, remove the excess clippings by either raking them or using devices like a garden vacuum or leaf blower.
- Level out the area, if necessary. Depending on the application, it’s best to initially flattened the surface before installing the grass protection mesh. You can either fill the holes or cut bumpy areas.A flat surface will lessen the possibility of any rutting. It’s also for the optimal installation of the grass mesh.
- Install the Grass mesh onto the flattened ground. Setting up of the grass paver might be different according to the product. You can follow the step-by-step guide included in your package.However, it would be best to start the installation along the side. Secure the set up by pinning the mesh with the given anchors. Then, roll the mesh from the said corner. Ensure that the mesh is flat as possible before subsequently pinning the other ends. You can always ask for help.
Installation for Newly Sewn Area
- Clean the existing soil surface. Remove any debris, gravel, and rock.
- Level and compact the said area. You can add a layer of top-quality soil and compact the area for a firm base.
- Seed the area. Gently spread the sods along the surface and lightly cover them with soil.
- Install the grass protection mesh by doing the same procedure mentioned above.
- Let the area sit untouched for about 4 to 6 weeks. But gradually water it until the grass starts to grow, mature, and entwine with the mesh.
How to Use Grass Mesh to Stop Dogs Digging?
Turf reinforcement mesh will help the grass to develop strong and abundant roots into the soil.
To do so, you just have to install grass mesh as mentioned in the previous question. Upon setting up, the dogs won’t be able to dig your lawn anymore as there’s a compact barrier in between your grass.
Apart from installing a grass grid, here are a few tips to prevent your furbaby from digging your lawn.
- Select a wear-resistant lawn. Though not totally digging, your dogs might keep on running back and forth to your yard and leave damage to the underlying soil.The best solution is to select hardy turf for your lawn. The best grass type for those with fur babies is those that have rapid root development and growth rate such as Kentucky, Bluegrass, Ryegrass, Bermuda, and Zoysia. This will help recover your lawn rapidly and discourage digging behaviors.
- Divert your dog’s attention by playing with them. You can walk, play with active toys like balls and flying disks or teach them a few tricks. These things will entertain your dog and make them forget the garden.
- Temporary Fencing. Placing obstacles like plenty of pot plants along the track will divert your dog to another route, and not to your lawn.
How to Use Yard Saver for Parking?
Unlike concrete or asphalt, grass pavers offer various advantages. Two of the primary advantages of installing these kinds of pavers are the ease and time of installation.
You might want to consider these few steps on how to install a yard saver for parking purposes.
- Before anything else, you have to clean the surface where you wanted to build your parking space. Remove any unnecessary litter, debris, and big stones.
- Level out the surface of the ground. You can tie a string from two stakes to make one straight line as a guide.
Putting a base of soil or a mixture of gravel and sand can be a great option in making the surface uniform. Likewise, these prevent the formation of puddles and standing water that can lead to a problem.
- Place down the blocks of pavers. Gently lay down the grid system, starting from one corner and so on until you completely installed the yard saver in the entire area. For some products, you can customarily cut them depending on your lawn size and shape.
- Fill the grass pavers with soil. This will encourage a reliable and strong surface for vehicles. This surface will also protect the root system of the grass (if ever you wanted to plant it) as they grow.
Make sure that you adhere to the written instructions included in the product’s package. Take note that there are certain specifications for the volume of the fill material, depending on the product.
- If you decided to plant sods, spread out the grass seeds along the surface. Gently scatter them and fill a light amount of soil atop. Gradually water these seeds, sooner, they’ll germinate.
- Your parking area is now ready.
You have to remember that grass pavers have limitations depending on their materials, load capacity, and strength. There are yard savers designated only for light loads like walkways, paths, wheelchair access, and driveways. And there are also specific requirements for commercial parking spaces for trucks, buses, and many more.
So, it is important that you’ll always follow the given instructions. Such precaution will prevent fast wearing off the grass pavers that can lead to accidents.
How to Remove Grass Mesh?
Unlike the traditional pavers that are made of concrete or asphalt, grass mesh is easy to remove. And so, the uninstalling process is also easy, sometimes much easier than the installation.
- Equip yourself with tools and hand gear before starting the uninstallation process. Preparing such equipment will make the work easy and fast. Likewise, wearing hand gloves might also prevent you from injuring yourself from such work.
- Start removing the hooks or pins you have inserted from the ground in securing the grass mesh in its place. Just like on the installation, it’s best to start decluttering from one side going to the other side. This will prevent you from missing any pins.
- In some cases, you might consider trimming the grasses first before doing this step. Trimming the lawn will help you visually to spot the hooks even without opening the grass. Thus, this will also fasten the process.
- After removing all the hooks, you can now gently lift the garden mesh and roll it from one side. If you have numerous interlocked grass pavers, you can detach the blocks one by one.
When removing such installed grass pavers, be careful in removing them. Most of the time, you can reuse these blocks of yard savers again.
If you have an extra budget, you can hire people who are especially inclined to install and uninstall grass pavers to do this work.
Grass Pavers on Slope
Not all grass paver works on a steep slope. However, there is a yard saver that still performs well even on inclined surfaces.
Among the three common types of yard pavers which are concrete, plastic, and stable grid, I recommend using the latter for inclined surfaces. A stable grid is a reinforced plastic netting where you can plant grass in between. It does not have strips of hard surfaces at the bottom.
Using grass pavers on inclined surfaces offer a few benefits. These include soil erosion prevention. Failure to prevent such events cannot only lead to messy and hardy pathways but also unpleasing visuals.
Can Grass Grow Through Mesh (Grass Pavers)?
Yes. Grass can grow through garden pavers. A typical garden mesh has unblocked cells that are hefty enough for growing sods. The common grass pavers do not have strips of the hard surface at the bottom. This kind of grass mesh usually results in a lush and healthy lawn. This is because, the roots can freely penetrate down the soil, and establish their strong root structure. If your grass pavers have holey covers at the bottom; do not worry, they can still grow grass. You just have to fill these cells with potting mix in order to plant sods. In fact, these kind of grass pavers is usually great for filling with gravels and soil as they will securely hold these fill materials.
What to Do With Grass Mesh When Grass Has Grown Through?
Don’t be surprised if you are seeing sprouting grass within your mesh. It’s one of their main purposes. Grass that is growing through the mesh isn’t a problem. In fact, some people would love this event as their parking slots will become unnoticeable. However, you might find them irritating, especially when the grass becomes extremely wild and tall. In such cases, you can cut the grass by manually trimming them. Using a lawnmower is another great option to do if you have quite a wide yard filled with lawn grid. Just like the normal cases, you can seed and treat this lawn as normal. You can achieve a lush lawn by restricting the trafficking until the grass finally becomes well established. Cutting them at their optimal height isn’t only pleasing, but also good for the grass. This is because the air circulation will increase and encourage healthier grass.
Why Should I Put Mesh on New Grass?
Just like typical plants, newly grown grass is prone to damage and destruction. This is especially true if they are sitting in walking paths or parking areas. This is so because they haven’t established yet a strong root structure. Grass mesh guards the seeds as they germinate. They won’t easily be uprooted, whether because of walking, pet digging, and vehicle parking, as there are guards in between them. These also tend to increase the number of plants growing on your lawn. Apart from it secures the growth of the new grass, grass mesh also helps hold and stabilize the soil. Since grass pavers typically store rainwater below, it prevents water from washing off the soil. Lastly, the grass mesh helps preserve the landscape. This is especially applicable for inclined areas. The grass paver will lessen the high risk of erosion through their design that allows water to smoothly go through them, instead of just abruptly flowing.
These are the five best yard savers I have curated from a hundred lawn grids.
Have you already made a choice which among these grass mesh are you gonna buy? Or, I missed your preferred grass paver?
Freely leave your insights in the comment section below. Likewise, share this article with your friends whom you think will need it the most.